Personal Injury – Auto – Car Accidents – Slip & Fall Rhode Island Frequently Asked Questions by an RI Lawyer

Q: Are there certain documents I need to bring with me when I first meet with my personal injury attorney?

Answer: You should provide your lawyer with as much information as possible. If your lawyer has more information, he will be able to better advise you about your legal rights. You must bring all documents related to your case. The accident report is a very important document that you should bring to your lawyer. Article by attorney David Slepkow (401) 437-1100.

Also, if you have eyewitness testimony or medical records or reports from your doctors, you should take them to your attorney. If you have photos of the accident or your injury, please bring them to the lawyer’s meeting. If you don’t have the documentation, your lawyer can get the documents for you.

Q: What kind of information will the attorney ask for during the initial consultation regarding my personal injury or car accident in Rhode Island?

Answer: Your lawyer will ask you for general information about your medical treatment. The attorney will attempt to compile a list containing the name and address of all attending physicians and medical providers. This includes physical therapists, chiropractors, visiting nurses and other medical providers. The attorney may also ask you for a list of past medical providers.

Q: What usually happens at the first consultation:

Answer: The personal injury lawyer you selected will tell you whether you have a valid legal claim. If you decide to engage that attorney, the attorney will ask you to sign a commission agreement. The commission agreement is an important legal document that a lawyer must obtain. During the initial consultation, it is extremely difficult for your lawyer to tell you the value of your case. The value of your business depends on many circumstances, including the size of your medical bills and the nature and extent of any pain and suffering. The value may depend on whether or not your injury is permanent, whether or not there were periods of partial or total disability, whether or not there were disfigurements, scars or other physical injuries, and the amount of your lost wages, etc.

After you have completed treatment or reached a certain point in your medical treatment, the attorney will provide a settlement request with all relevant medical records and documentation to the insurance adjuster. If the insurance company is of the opinion that the claim is justified and the insurance adjuster and the lawyer can agree on an amount, the case will be settled out of court. Despite the fact that the lawyer will try to settle the case, the lawyer will prepare the case for the court in case the case is not resolved.

Q: What does it take to have a valid personal injury case?

Answer: If you have been injured as a result of the negligence or willful act of another person or entity, you have a potential cause of personal injury. It is not always necessary to have a physical injury to file a personal injury lawsuit. A personal injury case can be filed on the basis of tarnishing your reputation or intentionally inflicting emotional distress.

Question: What exactly is a settlement in a personal injury case?

Answer: If you settle a car accident or slip and fall in Rhode Island, you agree to accept a sum of money in exchange for not prosecuting a case for personal injury against the person or entity or dropping a case for personal injury to any person or entity. If the case is settled, you will be required to sign a statement releasing all parties from any potential future liability. To determine whether or not you should accept a personal injury settlement, your attorney will need to evaluate the amount of damages you suffered, the likelihood that you will win the lawsuit, and any other factors the attorney deems appropriate.

See also  Home Security - Voice Alert system for peace of mind

A settlement can be reached at any time prior to the filing of the lawsuit or after the lawsuit is filed and at any time until the jury’s verdict. The case can even be settled after the trial if the case is on appeal.

At Slepkow, Slepkow & Associates, Inc. it is our firm philosophy that it is the customer’s decision whether or not to accept a personal injury settlement. We will certainly help you make that decision by providing all the essential information and answering any relevant questions you may have. We will often give our recommendation on whether or not a settlement is fair. We always let our clients make the final decision whether or not to accept a personal injury or car accident settlement.

Question: What if I am not satisfied with the lawyer handling my case? In Rhode Island, do I have the right to get a new attorney? If I get a new lawyer, who pays for the legal services of the old lawyer?

Answer: In Rhode Island (RI), if you are not satisfied with the legal representation of your attorney, you have the right to get a new attorney at any time. Your old lawyer may have a legal lien on your personal injury case. If you are victorious or the case is settled, your old lawyer will be entitled to payment for the legal services he provided to you. However, you do not have to pay the old attorney when getting a new attorney. When your case is settled or when you receive money as a result of a judgment, the old and new lawyer will share any legal costs fairly. In other words, it will not cost you any extra money if you hire a new lawyer. The old and new lawyer must agree on the fair share that the old lawyer will receive.

Question: Is it a good idea to wait a while before hiring a lawyer?

Answer: You should contact a Rhode Island personal injury attorney immediately after the accident. It is not a good idea for an individual to deal with the insurance adjuster regarding their personal injury or car accident claim.

Question: Am I required to provide a registered statement to the insurance company upon request?

Answer: There is no legal obligation for you to provide a registered statement to an insurance adjuster. However, if the insurance company is your own insurance company, you may be contractually required to provide a registered statement. You should not make a statement unless you have a legal representative with you and you must obtain a copy of the transcript.

Q: What types of cases are typically handled on a contingent consideration basis?

Answer: car/vehicle accidents, slip and fall, trip and fall, corporate liability, bicycle accidents, motorcycle accidents, boating accidents, truck accidents, pedestrian accidents, wrongful death, uninsured or underinsured, motorist claims, intentional infliction of emotional distress, dog bite claims, etc