Marketplace Insurance Florida: What You Need to Know

Are you a resident of Florida looking for affordable health insurance options? You may be eligible for marketplace insurance through the Affordable Care Act (ACA). In this article, we will explain what marketplace insurance is, how to enroll, and other important information to help you make an informed decision about your healthcare coverage.

What is Marketplace Insurance in Florida?

Marketplace insurance, also known as Obamacare or ACA, is a health insurance program designed to provide individuals and families with affordable healthcare options. Under this program, insurance plans are sold by private insurance companies but are regulated by the federal government to ensure they meet certain standards.

In Florida, the marketplace is run by the federal government, and residents can access it through the website Through the marketplace, individuals can compare and purchase different plans based on their unique healthcare needs and budget.

How Does Marketplace Insurance Work?

Marketplace insurance plans all offer a minimum set of essential health benefits, including preventive services, maternity care, and prescription drug coverage. These plans are separated into four different levels:

Plan Level
Cost Share
Monthly Premiums

The cost-share ratio is the percentage of medical expenses that the insurance company will pay versus what the consumer will pay. For example, for a Silver plan with a cost-sharing ratio of 70/30, the insurance company will cover 70% of medical expenses, and the consumer will be responsible for the remaining 30%.

The monthly premium is the amount you pay every month for your insurance coverage. Generally, a higher-cost plan will have lower out-of-pocket expenses when you receive medical care, and a lower-cost plan will have higher out-of-pocket expenses.

Who is Eligible for Marketplace Insurance in Florida?

To be eligible for marketplace insurance in Florida, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or legal resident with a Social Security number
  • Live in Florida and intend to stay there
  • Not have access to affordable health insurance through your employer or a government program like Medicare or Medicaid
  • Not be currently incarcerated

If you are eligible, you can apply for marketplace insurance during the open enrollment period, which usually runs from November through December each year. If you experience a qualifying life event such as losing your job or getting married, you may also be eligible for a special enrollment period.

FAQ About Marketplace Insurance in Florida

How much does marketplace insurance cost?

The cost of marketplace insurance varies depending on the plan you choose and your income level. However, the ACA provides tax credits to help lower-income individuals and families afford coverage. The tax credits are based on a sliding scale, with those who have lower incomes receiving more help.

Can I keep my current doctor with marketplace insurance?

It depends on the plan you choose. Some marketplace insurance plans have restricted provider networks, and you may need to choose a new doctor if yours is not in the network. Before you enroll in a plan, make sure to check if your current doctor is included.

What if I can’t afford marketplace insurance?

If you can’t afford marketplace insurance, you may be eligible for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). These programs provide free or low-cost healthcare coverage to individuals and families with low incomes.

What happens if I don’t have health insurance?

Under the ACA, all individuals are required to have health insurance or pay a penalty. The penalty for not having insurance in 2021 is $695 per adult or 2.5% of your income, whichever is greater.

Can I switch marketplace insurance plans?

You can switch marketplace insurance plans during the open enrollment period, which usually runs from November through December each year. You can also switch plans if you experience a qualifying life event such as getting married or having a baby.


Marketplace insurance in Florida provides affordable healthcare options for individuals and families who do not have access to health insurance through their employer or a government program. By understanding how marketplace insurance works, who is eligible, and other important information, you can make an informed decision about your healthcare coverage.