Summer is here – Are your ‘toys’ protected?

With the weather warming up, people everywhere are breaking out their favorite summer toys, including recreational vehicles (RVs), boats, motorcycles, and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs).

Unfortunately, you cannot assume that your part-time vehicles are properly insured under an existing car and/or homeowners insurance policy. And rather than simply sticking these substantial investments onto another policy, it’s best to look at policies designed specifically for each policy.

RV insurance

Insurance coverage for motorhomes such as travel trailers, campers, fifth wheels, and truck campers provide protection that regular auto insurance does not. Here are a few reasons to consider RV insurance in addition to your car insurance:

  • breakdown assistance: Even if your car policy covers some roadside costs, it may not cover towing that big, heavy RV, leaving you footing the bill.
  • Financial protection: Insurers that offer RV coverage often have claims adjusters who know how to search for damages specific to RVs, including specialized RV parts such as awnings, extendable stairs, and appliances.
  • Personal Property Protection: Your “home away from home” is likely to house things you wouldn’t keep in your car, such as camcorders, laptops, and jewelry, which may not be covered by a car policy.
  • Protect your investment: motorhomes are expensive! It’s best to have “full replacement cost coverage” to ensure full payment if the vehicle is irreparable, rather than reimbursement based on current market value.

Boat insurance

Don’t assume your shiny new boat is covered under your homeowner’s policy. A boat is a moving vehicle in all respects. That’s why you need coverage similar to a car policy, including protection for:

  • Physical injury your boat does to others.
  • Property damage causes your boat to docks and other boats.
  • Physical damage to your boat if you hit something or run aground.

Also consider comprehensive coverage against theft, vandalism, fire and flooding; personal property coverage for fishing gear and other items; uninsured boat insurance (such as uninsured car insurance) and even “assistance on board” in case you need a tow.

Motorcycle insurance

Motorcycle insurance is essential – and like car insurance, the price can vary depending on the type of motorcycle you drive. In other words, insuring a high-performance sports bike usually costs more than insuring a lower-powered bicycle, scooter or moped.

The components of a comprehensive motorcycle policy are also similar to auto coverage, including collision insurance (to cover damage to your bike as a result of an accident), comprehensive coverage, bodily injury coverage, property damage liability coverage, uninsured motorist insurance, and roadside assistance .