Rhode Island RI Personal Injury FAQ – Cars – Car Accidents – Injury – Pain & Suffering

1) What should I do if I am injured in a car accident?

Be sure to stop at the scene of the car accident and immediately notify the police of the accident. If possible, ask for all information about the other parties involved in the accident, including their name, address, telephone number and insurance details. Get treated by a medical provider for your injuries as soon as possible.

At the time of the accident, obtain the names, addresses and telephone numbers of any witnesses to the accident. If you have a camera or a camera phone, take pictures of your car, the other car and the scene of the accident. If you have bruises or physical ailments, take pictures of the physical condition as soon as possible. Please do not make a statement to the loss adjuster before you have had an opportunity to speak with an attorney.

2) How do I determine how much money I am entitled to as a result of the accident?

To determine the value of the case, the attorneys must look at a combination of factors including loss of wages, pain and suffering, permanence of the injury, any scarring or disfigurement, loss of consortium, periods of disability, etc. of the thing value of a thing is an art rather than a science. The amount of medical bills incurred will be an important factor in determining the value of the case.

3) Does Rhode Island have a statute of limitations for personal injury cases?

There is a three-year statute of limitations to bring a lawsuit for negligence in Rhode Island. If you do not file a lawsuit within three years of the date of the accident, you are forever barred from making a claim as a result of the accident. In the event that the claim is for personal injury against a city or municipality, there are very strict notification requirements.

4) What if I am injured and the other party is at fault but has no insurance?

You have the legal right to bring a claim against the person or company whose negligence caused your injury. In many cases, however, the defaulting party does not have the funds or means to pay your damages. As long as you have uninsured or underinsured motorist protection, you can file a claim with your own insurance company for uninsured or underinsured claims.

5) How do I recover if I have been hit by a hit-and-run driver?

If you have uninsured motorist protection with your own insurance company, you may be able to file a claim with your own insurance company.

See also  Perhaps Universal Healthcare can help people affected by COVID-19

Legal Notice Rhode Island Attorneys under the RI Rules of Professional Responsibility:

The Supreme Court of Rhode Island licenses all attorneys in the general practice of law, but does not grant or certify any attorney/attorney as an expert or specialist in any field.