The modern researches in the field of medicine have led to many such medicines which help in prolonging the life span of the people. This makes life happier with health. The modern medicines help in early diagnosis of the disease and thus people get the help in a timely manner.
Since the drugs are increasing day by day, people need to keep track of the time table of the dosages and intakes of them. This is how the concept of Medical Management was born.
What is Medical Management?
Medication management is a very recent concept. This is the medical care provided by pharmacists aimed at optimizing drug treatment and improving therapeutic outcomes for patients. This concept was recently accepted by many pharmaceutical companies in the year 2004.
Who does it apply to?
The medical administration helps people keep track of the dosage and amount of their medicines to be taken. Medications are lifesaving, but if the medications are not taken according to the medication policy and in the prescribed amount or at the prescribed hours, medications can adversely harm your body and make you sicker.
Such disorders generally occur in the elderly, the people who are seriously ill and the people with disabilities. These people may find it difficult to keep up with their drug dosages, which in turn can affect their health and even be fatal.
How does medical management work?
To keep a good schedule of the medication helps in the form of caregivers. In medical management, the patients, caregivers and pharmacists work as a team and solve the medication problem.
The pharmacists and doctors prepare a fact sheet about the patient to be followed by the caregiver as a guideline for the management of the patient’s medication. This team is formed in such a way that they can collectively handle all variations from simple level to complex level situations.
Benefits of medical management
This helps the patients in many ways as follows:
- For the people who have difficulty remembering the timing of the dosage, the pharmacists can provide special pill boxes that remind the patient or caregiver of the timing of the medication.
- The pill boxes can vary from low-tech to high-tech pill boxes. The simple pillbox is a simple container with different slots for different days, while the high-tech pillboxes even have alarms and timers to remind you of the drug intake schedule.
- For elderly patients or those who cannot read, pharmacists can provide prescription labels in large print.
- For the patients with hearing problems, this team can help the patient by speaking in a loud voice so that the patient does not miss any important point. In such cases, the healthcare providers can also help the patients to hear on their behalf.
- There are many medicines and equipment such as eye drops, ear drops, inhalers, injections that patients need to take to cure diseases. Some disabled patients may experience difficulties in opening the medicine bottles, administering injections, administering ear drops or eye drops, etc. The caregivers can assist such patients with medicines and equipment.
Problem faced by patients
Many diseases require multiple medications to be taken. In such cases, this team assists the patients for their special needs.
In such cases, this team should also regularly keep track of whether the patients really need all the prescribed medicines, whether a medicine interacts with other medicines he is taking, whether the patient is prescribed the correct dose, etc. This helps the patient to keep track of their health by reducing problems.
Medical management is a very important concept developed for the needy patients. Every person in his or her life faces medical problems, be it at a young age or at an advanced age. It is the duty of society to take care of our own fellow citizens who live in our neighbourhood.