If you’re flying into South Africa, chances are you’ll hit the ground running from Johannesburg, the country’s most visited city. It is the largest transport hub not only in South Africa but also in neighboring countries. As a result, you will likely spend a day or two in Johannesburg, which may be enough to traverse most of the city’s major attractions. Johannesburg is the country’s main city and can rightfully be called the crowning glory of South Africa’s tourism.
Johannesburg is indeed an enchanting city and is starting to emerge as a tourist friendly destination. Luxury hotels, trendy restaurants, chic bars and sparkling casinos are nowhere else in the country. Moreover, holidaymakers can look for a perfect mix of sun, sport and safari. Shopping, dining and nightlife are also among the best in the country. To put the icing on the cake, airlines and select travel companies lure visitors with cheap flights from London to Johannesburg with the best travel deal in the UK.
Here are some of the things that make Johannesburg the crowning glory of South Africa’s tourism.
- Johannesburg Zoo: With over two thousand wildlife attractions, the zoo offers you the opportunity to learn more about South Africa’s flora and fauna. It is a family-friendly destination, where many interesting animals can be seen and visitors can tour and learn about their habits and habitats.
- Apartheid Museum: History buffs should pay a visit to the Apartheid Museum, which presents a series of exhibits depicting the most difficult time in South African history. It is almost guaranteed that you will come out of the museum a changed person. It is no exaggeration to say that some even book flights to Johannesburg from London just for the sake of the Apartheid Museum and similar other institutions.
- Gold Reef City: It is a place that attracts both families and single travelers. The theme park has attractions to facilitate both types of travelers. For example, children can enjoy various attractions, families can go shopping or eat well in one of the many restaurants here. Single travelers or those looking for nightlife can find a selection of bars, restaurants and casinos here. However, the best attraction is a tour of a real gold mine on which the entire structure is built.
- Lesedi Cultural Village: Johannesburg is in many ways at the forefront of South Africa. In addition to its major role in the country’s history, the city has served as a cauldron to hold together a wide variety of cultures, languages, rituals, and cuisines. This particular aspect is best experienced at Lesedi Cultural Village, which offers a potpourri of different cultures, foods and traditions. Notable cultural groups include Zulu, Pedi, Xhosa, Basotho, and Ndebele.
- Constitution hill: It is an important landmark that still serves as a remnant of the country’s turbulent past. Travelers taking flights to Johannesburg can find a beautiful Old Fort Prison Complex on Constitution Hill, which was used to captivate political leaders like Nelson Mandela and Mahatma Gandhi.