There are many similarities between drug addiction, alcoholism and a mental disorder. Although the combination of a drug or alcohol addiction and a mental disorder is called a dual diagnosis, they must all be treated simultaneously in a drug withdrawal, alcohol withdrawal, or dual diagnosis treatment program.
Below are the listed agreements:
1. Drug addiction, alcoholism and mental disorders are physiological diseases with strong genetic and hereditary components.
2. Drug addiction, alcoholism and mental disorders are physical/mental/spiritual illnesses.
3. Drug addiction, alcoholism and mental disorders, if left untreated, are progressive, chronic, incurable and potentially fatal.
4. Denial of the disease of drug addiction, alcoholism and mental disorders and failure to comply with attempts at addiction treatment, drug rehabilitation or dual diagnosis treatment are symptoms of the disorder.
5. Drug addiction, alcoholism and mental disorders manifest loss of control over behavior, thinking and emotions.
6. Drug addiction, alcoholism and mental disorders affect the whole family.
7. Increasing powerlessness and uncontrollability over drug addiction, alcoholism, or mental illness leads to guilt, shame, depression, and despair.
8. Drug addiction, alcoholism and mental disorders are diseases of vulnerability and isolation.
9. Both the primary symptoms of any disease and loss of control over behaviour/thoughts/emotions are reversible with substance abuse treatment or dual diagnosis treatment.
10. Recovery consists of: Stabilization of the acute illness Restoration of body, mind and soul
11. The risk of relapse in both diseases is always high, and relapse into drug addiction or alcoholism will inevitably lead to a relapse into the mental disorder. 12. The only hope for a lifetime of recovery lies in working on our recovery program(s): ONE DAY AT A TIME
If you are looking for an effective dual diagnosis treatment program, you can call the Dual Diagnosis Helpline at: 1-800-511-9225 or go to www.steppingstonecenter.org