The New York State Department of Insurance (DOI) recently released the 2012 Annual Ranking of Automobile Insurance Complaints. The report is being released to help consumers find the auto insurer that best meets their needs.
This report analyzed data collected from 2010 and 2011. It ranks companies doing business in New York State. However, since New York is a densely populated state, with both large cities and major metropolitan areas, the report can be considered a good representation of the performance of insurance companies across the country.
Use this report to see where your current car insurer stands. You may want to switch insurance companies after reading this article.
2012 Auto Complaint Listing (best position at the top, more complaints as you go down)
1. Kemper Ins.
2. Progressive Northwestern Ins.
3. Great Northern Ins.
4. Sellers prefer ins.
5. Main Street America Ins.
6. Unitrin Auto and Home Ins.
7. Utica National Insurance of Texas
8. Old Dominion Ins.
9. Includes Indemnification
10. Unitrin Preference Settings.
11. Trade and Industry Ins.
12. Includes insurance
13. Hartford US auto insurance
14. TravCo Ins.
16. Economy Premier Insurance
17. Barkers Standard Ins.
18. Traveler’s Indemnification
19. Ins. 21st century.
20. Rural Affinity Ins.
21. Ameriprise Ins.
22. Charter Oak Fire Ins.
23. Includes Home and Auto Ins.
24. Electrical Insurance
25. National Mutual Fire Insurance
26. Republic-Franklin Insurance (Utica)
27. Civil Insurance
28. American Modern Home Insurance
29. Accident and Indemnification in Hartford
30. Includes property and casualties
31. 21st Century Premier Insurance
32. Rural Property and Accidents
33. Massachusetts Bay Insurance
34. Unitrin Advantage Insurance
35. Central Mutual Insurance
36. Associated Indemnification Company
37. Global Insurance Response
38. American Bankers Ins.
39. National General Ins.
40. Watchful Ins.
NONE of the major national companies whose ads you see on TV made the top ten!! The only one to break the Top TWENTY was 21st Century! There is only one other major national company in the TOP 40, and that is Nationwide.
What should that tell you?
If your current auto insurer is not on this list, they may not sell insurance in New York. But it probably means their number of complaints is worse than the #40 position!
Consider this following statement carefully, my friends.
All that matters to your insurance is what happens when you make a claim. Claims are about keeping PROMISES. If the insurance companies do not keep their promises, the ministries of insurance will receive many complaints!
The DOI report is issued so that you can make an informed decision about which insurance company to choose. Choose wisely!
If you experience a car loss of any kind, you need to know how to handle your insurance claim so that you maximize your recovery. Learn how to take control of your insurance claim and add hundreds or even thousands of dollars to your claims handling. For more information, visit the website listed below in the Resource Box.