Seven European countries signed a treaty in 1985 to abolish the border checkpoints. Today, these are collectively known as Schengen countries. With a Schengen visa, visitors can stay in one of these countries for a period of 90 days. For international students, this means a chance to find admission options at different educational institutions in these European countries, without having to worry about separate visas. In addition, people who travel to Europe to attend conferences, seminars and other types of business events, with a Schengen visa, do not have to wait to get permission to travel through the European countries.
With Schengen, international students can move within different places in Europe without restrictions and keep their documentation and paperwork to a minimum. There are several visa choices available to make your choice easy and you can find an option that suits you best. Some of the options are as follows:
- Short Stay Visa- This is most commonly used for visas related to Schengen countries. For students, this means a one-way ticket on the student visa. For those who want to travel a minimum of 90 days as a conference delegate or tourist in a six-month period, this is an ideal choice.
- Airport Transit Visa- This is for transit through airports of Schengen countries. However, this will not allow you to leave the airport before flying to your next destination.
- Multiple-entry visa – For those who want to travel more than once within the Schengen area during the 90-day journey, a multiple-entry visa is the way to go. To get a visa, you must provide relevant evidence of your travel needs.
- Transit Visa- This transit visa allows you to cross multiple Schengen country borders before traveling outside this member zone.
Students can consider their specific requirements and opt for one of these visas to enjoy worry-free travel during their international trip. One of the biggest problems that international students face is dealing with cross-border legalities and complex documentation. With a Schengen visa to your rescue, you can make this process hassle-free and focus on your destination rather than the associated formalities. There is one visa requirement due to the presence of a central immigration database. In addition, there is also a common procedure for issuing and processing visas to make the process simple and fast for international travelers.
While this visa does not completely exempt you from immigration control, it does give you a breather and allow you to travel independently within the Schengen area for 3 months. To apply for this visa you need the following documents.
- Completed and signed application form
- Original passport/travel documents
- Passport photograph
- Purpose of Visitor Certificate
- Proof of student status
- comprehensive travel insurance
These are only the main documentation needed for the procedure. One can approach the embassies to know the full rules and take advantage of the opportunities offered by such a student visa.