There are many things that affect the quotes you get. Fortunately, there are many things you can easily do something about. However, some may require a long-term commitment on your part. Here are things that will help you enjoy affordable health insurance…
1. Smokers have rates double or more than non-smokers. It is a known fact that smokers are prone to many health problems and they do not live long. If smoking leads to specific health problems, it puts a person at high risk and attracts higher rates. If you are able to quit smoking, you will get rates that are significantly cheaper if you sign up again after 12 months.
2. You save more by joining a PPO or Preferred Provider Organization. This alternative is slightly more expensive than an HMO but also offers more choice. It’s up to you to check how much you get with what you save to decide whether you prefer this over regular health insurance. If saving is your main concern, you will almost always save more by using a PPO instead of purchasing regular health insurance.
3. Married people can save by having one policy. However, you need to compare to see which one gives you more savings. It may not be best for you depending on your various health issues as individuals.
4. There is a special type of savings account, the Flexible Spending Account. You can keep tax-free dollars to meet your health needs. The selling point of this account is that you can carry over unused funds tax-free to the next year. This provides you with a tax-free method of building significant financial reserves for your health needs.
5. Some states offer home business owners the option to reduce their health insurance. Such states require insurance companies to offer home businesses similar rates to other (larger) businesses. And all it takes for your home business to qualify is just one salaried employee.
Always remember that a member of your family who works for you in a home based business qualifies as staff. The interesting thing is that such an employee does not have to work full time to qualify you.
Group health insurance rates are generally lower, so be sure to take advantage of them if you own a home-based business. You can find home businesses that qualify for group rates in your state by visiting your state’s insurance department or equivalent.
6. Request and compare many quotes and you will get the best rates for your profile. I recommend that you visit at least five quote sites because you’re less likely to miss out on better quotes that aren’t offered by the other sites. This gives you a broader base to make more extensive comparisons and increases your chances of getting better quotes.